Saving stuff in a standalone

yves COPPE yvescoppe at skynet.be
Thu Oct 10 11:52:01 EDT 2002

>Tim,
>
>To write data to a text file is a simple as taking the data you want to
>write (like the contents of a variable or field) and using this syntax:
>
>   put <dataToWrite> into url ("file:" & <pathToFile>)
>
>And to read the data, use this syntax:
>
>   put url ("file:" & <pathToFile>) into <dataFromFile>)
>
>So for example, if I wanted to read data from the file
>"Enterprise:MyFolder:MyData.dat" on my OS X system, I would say:
>
>   put url ("file:/Enterprise/MyFolder/MyData.dat") into myData
>
>Hope this helps,

Hi Tim

I'm not a pro of the programmation. So to make the things easy, I use
text files as database with different special chars to delimitate the
records.
I've buld a large database on this way. It works very fast without
any other database engine (as SQL, Valentina...).
If you plan to make something very professionnal, yçou should have a
look to such a system, but if you plan to make something for your own
or freeware, you can surely use text files as Ken wirte here above.
--
Greetings.

Yves COPPE

Email : yvescoppe at skynet.be