How real is the embedded web-page technique?

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Thu Oct 10 03:21:01 EDT 2002

Recently, Jeanne A. E. DeVoto wrote:

>> I've seen the "Can I view HTML pages in Rev/MC?" questions come up time and
>> again on the Rev and MC lists, and perhaps it's just me, but it seems that
>> the answers given often skirt the intent of the original question.  IMO, it
>> would be more useful for new users to be told directly that Rev/MC does
>> *not* provide an embedded Web browser, nor does it render HTML on its own.
>> I believe it would be in your best interest as the creators of the tools to
>> reference Rev/MC's ability to display *HTML source* and not the rendered
>> HTML pages that folks see in a Web browser.
>
> Um... but it does render HTML, via the htmlText property. Not all of the
> HTML 4.0 spec, certainly, but it renders basic inline styling, images, and
> links. That's not enough for all purposes but it seems to me it is enough
> to say that Rev "renders HTML on its own".

Well, one of the original questions was "is it just like embedding a browser
on the card".  Sure, Rev/MC can display HTML formatted text, and can display
images referenced from a URL, but this is a far cry from displaying a
rendered page layout in which the aforementioned elements appear.  And if
one needs to display tables, background images, frames, javascript and the
plethora of other features that define the HTML/browser experience, it would
seem the claim "renders HTML on its own" is something of a stretch.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director

Tactile Media, Multimedia & Design