How to pass variable data between AppleScript and Revolution?

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Wed Oct 9 17:32:01 EDT 2002

> 1) Can I use an on-idle handler within Revolution that launches an
> AppleScript, so that I don't have to use Applescript's on-idle handler.
> Would one be any better than the other?

Not sure... what else is the 'idle' handler doing?

> 2) Once AppleScript captures the html text from Internet Explorer, how can
> get that data back to a variable in Revolution? Is there some sort of
> variable-passing language between Applescript and Revolution?   Or are
> AppleEvents the solution for passing variable data between AppleScript and
> Revolution?

In the last line of your AppleScript, just 'get' the returning value, which
will put it into 'it'. Then in Rev, check 'the result' to get 'it', as in:

-- Contents of field 1:

tell application "Finder"
  get the name of the startup disk
end tell

-- button script

on mouseUp
  do field 1 as appleScript
  put the result into tStartupDisk
end mouseUp

> 3)   Is there a way to get a fairly large Applescript into a "do script"
> command?   The one-line-at-a-time-&-return method could get rather
painful.

Sure. Easiest way to do it is to make sure the script works from the
AppleScript Script Editor and then copy and paste it into a field in Rev
that you 'do' as AppleScript.

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software
Email: kray at sonsothunder.com