Klaus's banana (was Progress bars/Sliders...)

Mark Swindell mdswindell at charter.net
Sat Nov 30 14:12:00 EST 2002

on 11/30/02 3:10 AM, Malte Brill at malte.brill at t-online.de wrote:

> Hey Mark,
>
> perhaps you might want to take a look at the user contribution "fun with
> fields" by Klaus Major. He did a custom scrollbar there on card 4. (with a
> little banana as a thumb.)
>
> My excuses to the list for the nearly unreadable script in my previous post
> to this topic.

Thanks for your help, Malte.  Klaus's banana script is pretty much what I
was looking for.  But moreover, his whole stack is a a sketch of what could
be for Revolution, and still isn't (or if it is, I haven't found it).

It'd be a fantastic learning and resource tool for all of us mortals if an
assemblage of the folks from the mountain contributed a card or two or five
of tricks and hints and possibilities like this to a single learning stack
similar to Klaus's but in a much grander scale, with commented scripts and
variations on the the themes involved. (For example, the banana on Klaus's
card scrolls a field, but other examples with different fruits or glowing
balls of energy sliding on laser rails could do other sliderly things... set
volumes, speed of slide shows, continuously output data to fields etc.)
Klaus's illustration of how the mousetext, mousechar, mousechunk works is
the best I've seen for the novice trying to make sense of it all, but it
needn't stop there.

Combine this effort with the support of some expert, tasteful graphic
artists to really make the stack look sharp and annihilate the cheese factor
(the real reason HyperCard never took off, I still believe), and you'd have
a hall of wonder and a great place to usher new  users into the potential
and reality of Revolution, and a great place for us intermediates to
continue to grow.

I understand that this is at least partially the point of the user
contributions section of the runrev site, but having a single dedicated
"encyclopedia" library of resources included with the demo app, with
multiple illustrations of technique and function, would be hard to beat.

Ramblingly yours,
Mark