Launch Not work on OSX/OSX Rotate image trick

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Fri Nov 29 02:00:01 EST 2002

Sannyasin,

> Problems with Launch command:
> Bug:
> 1) Rev will not "forget' that the application is no longer running.
>
> a) set an application path to BBEdit in a preference field.
> b) Launch a file using
>
> launch "some/File/path" with "/Applications/BBedit 6.5/BBEdit 6.5
>
> First time (BBedit is not open) the file is opened... as expected.
>
> Quit BBEdit...
>
> use the launch button again.. .this time the file is not launched...
>   if I quit Rev and re-boot, it is launched.

The problem (I think) is that Rev thinks that it "owns" the process, and
therefore since you didn't quit it *from* Rev, it still thinks it's open.
Try checking the "openProcesses' and see if you have a process listed there
after you launch. If you do, you should 'kill' the process and see if it
will work again.

> Not a bug, but a "how to?"
> 2) The documentation clearly states that if the application is already
> open then "launch" will do nothing... OK, so, then, how does one open a
> file in an already running application?  Of course I can use
> applescript... but would rather stay in xTalk.

Sorry; I think you have to use AppleScript until this is resolved.

> 3) this is totally obscure problem with Adobe products... anyone know
> about this?
>
> Launch "somepath/some.jpg" with "/Applications/Adobe Photoshop
> 7.0/Adobe Photoshop 7.0
>
> will not work... and, what is even stranger, if you do
>
> answer file "Find your copy of Photoshop"
> put it
>
> and locate the application, Rev returns:
>
> /Applications/Adobe Photoshop 7.0/Adobe Photoshop 7.0/
>
> with a "/" at the end, even though it appears that you are pointing to
> the Adobe photoshop file and not a folder??

No, that's not strange at all under OS X. Technically applications ARE
folders (actually "packages"); if you control-click on them and choose "Show
Package Contents" you can see what is inside - including the REAL
application. You might try including the trailing "/" after the path name to
the app and see if it launches properly.

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software
Email: kray at sonsothunder.com
Web Site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/