Cursor Disappearing Problem then Solution

Matt Denton matt.denton at limelight.com.au
Thu Nov 28 07:18:01 EST 2002

Hi List, this is Matt here.

Today I had a problem with the cursor disappearing when entering a field.
Very annoying. Now I had a quick check on the list, not sure if anyone has
found the solution or dealt with this, apologies if it has been covered.
Here's what I found and the solution:

PROBLEM
After creating a field, adding, editing and subtracting objects on the card,
suddenly one field would not show the cursor.  Had this problem once before
but no solution... After checking all the standard 'traversal on' and 'auto
hilite' etc. (which may cause a cursor not to appear).

SOLUTION
I tried lots of things, then I duplicated the field.  Viola - cursor back.
But why?

I then stepped through each of the two field's properties, comparing each
and setting one property at a time - the new good duplicate setting each
property of the dud field.  What I found was that the RECT was the culprit,
it was the only property I had to change to get Flashy Cursor back on stage.
I also found by simply moving the field over to the right side of the screen
Flashy came back too.  I then moved it back to the old position and the
cursor with the correct cursor still waving at me.  This didn't always work,
seemed like you needed a big move.

Anyway that's what I found. Same issue in Rev 2 Beta 6.  (Hehe... only
joking, I mean Rev Alpha 12:~)  Not sure what creates the initial condition,
perhaps this has been mended in Rev 2?  (I have a stack if you guys need it
anyway).

Chow back to late night code and cups of tea (and tiptoeing for a mini snack
from the fridge for fear of discovery...)

M@
Matt