thank you notes

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Mon Nov 25 11:52:01 EST 2002

>  > i am going to start sending my thank you notes
>>  directly to the person who sent the advice. this
>>  does mean a little extra cut & paste, but should
>>  reduce the info deluge if only by a little.
>>  has this ever been an issue in email etiquette?

Interesting idea, Erik.  I don't recall the issue being discussed on
any list I've subscribed to previously.

I have no strong feelings about this, and will be happy to accede to
the will of the majority.

If it were my call, however, I would say "Continue to post thank yous
to the list." and here's why:

Suppose (a) I'm back from holiday after a few days not reading List
messages, or (b) I'm a newbie looking for information on a specific
thread in the List archives.  I find your post asking "where can I
find ..." or "why doesn't this syntax work", an answer from Jan, an
answer from Dar, and nothing.

Without your thank you in the thread, I don't know if the issue was
resolved to your satisfaction, and if the two answers were different,
I don't know which one worked and which one didn't.  The thank you
serves to designate closure of the thread.

Other ancillary issues:

* If ten people answer, you will need to send ten thank yous instead of one.
* Are you then obligated to send "thanks for nothing" notes to people
whose suggestion didn't work?
--

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company