Photo Processor/Manager

Marcus Bointon marcus at bointon.com
Mon Nov 25 04:36:01 EST 2002

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami writes:

> b) ROTATE AND SCALE IMAGES/QUALITY ISSUE
> Using ImageReady and PhotoShop as background slave processors for scaling
> down and rotation is pretty powerful.  In terms of the quality of the
> final output, my assumption is that this is probably the best way to go
> and that to build those operations natively into the interface would be
> doable--using angle, then export image etc.-- and perhaps save the time
> required for launching, but then the quality would simply not be there.
> Right or wrong?

At least partly wrong! It's possible to rotate (in 90 dgree steps) JPEG
files without doing a decompress/recompress (which loses quality) - it can
be effected by rearranging the compressed JPEG data. It's also possible to
crop on block boundaries in a similar way. GraphicConverter will do lossless
rotation - Photoshop won't. If you have a search on google you might find
some C source for doing this, though that probably wouldn't help you in
Rev...

Marcus
--
Marcus Bointon
Synchromedia Limited: Putting you in the picture