Photo Processor/Manager

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Sun Nov 24 15:16:01 EST 2002

I have to manage a lot of incoming digital photo images on a daily
basis coming in from cameras, emails from around the world, posted to
folders on a server etc. up to now iView was used to deal with all
these but it is pathetically inefficient for dealing with fresh input.
(great for long term archives though)

  I just built in about 45 minutes a little interface in Rev and I'll
continue to develop to do the following:

-- browse a directory of photos and display them, one at a time,
-- delete, copy or move those photos to a pre-set destination directory.
-- launch those images using imageReady, imageReady droplets, Photoshop
or Illustrator as external "slave" services, where paths to those apps
are pre-set in preferences, to scale down, rotate 90 degrees CW or 90
CCW.
-- globally move all files from one directory to another
later:
-- reorder and batch rename the photos (currently done in iView, which
is good for this...)
-- caption the photos (currently done in Supercard to be ported to
Revolution...)

etc. That's the context in case it is useful. Many of the above
operations are incredibly simple, a few lines of code does just about
everything,

but here are some challenges and I suspect many of these wheels have
already been invented or looped through already:

1) GET RECT OF IMAGE IN ADVANCE:
Can we get the rect of an image on disk, or the imagedata in variable
before display?  I can't find any "imagedata properties" as such.  I
need to retain the 2048 X 1536 pixel aspect ratio and data in the
imagedata of high res images coming in off camera, but constrain that
to a smaller size for display. So that the image will actually fit
reasonably in a stack window area of about 4 X 5 inches maximum. Also
one won't know in advance the orientation which could be vertical or
horizontal.  If we can get the rect before display we can then script
the image object size accordingly, lock it and then assign the file ref
to it before display. Of course I could display it first, get the rect
and then do it... but the idea is to make this as fast as possible.

b) ROTATE AND SCALE IMAGES/QUALITY ISSUE
Using ImageReady and PhotoShop as background slave processors for
scaling down and rotation is pretty powerful.  In terms of the quality
of the final output, my assumption is that this is probably the best
way to go and that to build those operations natively into the
interface would be doable--using angle, then export image etc.-- and
perhaps save the time required for launching, but then the quality
would simply not be there.  Right or wrong? And with OSX there is
something to be said for offloading these tasks to other apps, because
we can go back to Rev and continue work right now. But in cases where
those apps simply are not available for one reason or another, if
someone has built a native image import, scale/rotate, export widget, I
could use that.... something simple.

c) RE- ORDERING-BATCH RENAME -- Think tank open
iView does this well, but still, consolidation into the Rev interface
will save yet another 5-10 minutes and avoid the necessity for iView to
be installed on the given workstation. Has anyone already built a mini
image browser stack where you can move images around? or would a better
strategy to use a field, set the image data of characters in a list and
then drag these around in the field (haven't actually done that yet,
but sounds theoretically doable) In the end, after re-ordering, we want
to batch rename them in their logical numeric order: 01-11-23.jpg,
02-11-23.jpg etc.

TIA!

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami

Himalayan Academy Publications