Open Program with RR

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 15 01:40:01 EST 2002

--- erik hansen <erikhans08 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> MainStack. i have a number of stacks that are
> interrelated. with the 30K script limit gone, all
> common utility handlers can be consolidated in
> one place, but there will still be stacks
> interacting in various ways. they don't seem like
> "substacks" because they should open and function
> independently if possible. maybe the splash
> screen stack with a menu of stacks would work.

That's definitely the easiest and most flexible route.

> the structure still eludes me but using the TD
> and the "See Also" button are very helpful.
> hoping to put previous conceptual models to rest,
> starting with "Home",
>
> "put mainstacks()" yields a long list with "Home"
> at the top Transcript Dictionary (TD) has no
> listing for "Home" and <go stack stack "Home"
> causes nothing to happen.
>
> what exactly IS "Home" in RR?

"Home" still exists, but it's not the home stack we
now from HyperCard. Afaik, it's a face-less stack
somewhere in RunRev memory.
No special handlers (well maybe a few, but nothing we
can touch anyway), no interface to setup certain
variables, no one-click jump to the template fields...

In fact, if you call up the 'mainStacks' in a
stand-alone application, it doesn't show up.
So it looks like an engine backward-compatibility
residu, but only the MC/RR boys can solve that
mistery.

Best regards,

Jan Schenkel.

=====