Newbie Questions!

Jeanne A. E. DeVoto jeanne at runrev.com
Tue Nov 12 03:17:01 EST 2002

At 9:04 PM -0800 11/11/02, Igor de Oliveira Couto wrote:
>On Tuesday, November 12, 2002, at 10:16  AM, Jeanne A. E. DeVoto wrote:
>>> 1) How do I save more than one type of data (text and graphics) to a
>>> single file?
>>
>> The simplest way of doing this is to save the data in a stack file.
>
>1) Is this stack cross-compatible? ie, will my Mac and Windows users be
>able to exchange files?

Yes. All Revolution stack files are cross-platform and can be opened by
Revolution (or standalones) on any other platform. (Of course, you may need
to tweak fonts and colors slightly for best appearance on each operating
system, but the basic stack format is the same regardless of platform.)

>2) Is it possible to assign a specific file/document type to the
>created stack - and an associated icon?

Yes, although it is a bit complex and involves work with ResEdit. (This
will become simpler in the next version. I think. ;-) The essential thing
is to set the fileType property before saving the stack file: this lets you
assign a custom file type, and your standalone app's creator code, to the
stack file.

Jeanne A. E. DeVoto ~ jeanne at runrev.com
http://www.runrev.com/