Newbie Questions!

Igor Couto igor at pixelmedia.com.au
Mon Nov 11 04:20:10 EST 2002

Hail, Oh Revolution Masters!

I am afraid I am a Revolution newbie, and as such, will ask questions
that may annoy the more experienced users in the list. Nevertheless,
after furiously jumping from one place to another in the documentation,
I decided that it might be a better use of my time if I asked for some
help and guidance from the experts! After all, I believe the tasks I'm
trying to perform are quite mundane, and therefore I assume that it is
just due to my ignorance and unfamiliarity with Revolution that I
cannot work out the 'easy' way to do them... So here it goes:

TASK: I am trying to build a stack that will allow the user to enter
some statistical data (text), and then produce some graphs to
illustrate it (made of groups of graphic objects). My idea is that the
user should be able to save their data - and associated graphics - as a
cross-platform document. My questions are:

1) How do I save more than one type of data (text and graphics) to a
single file? I guess this will have to be a binary file, but then how
do I go about reading the data back into the stack? Is there a way to
set 'item delimiters' for binary files? Or is there another way to go
about saving/reading the data?

2) I know how to associate a custom icon to an APPLICATION compiled by
Revolution, but how do you associate a custom icon to different FILE
TYPES that your application might produce? For instance, if I produce a
custom-defined file type '.stat', how do I get my '.stat' files to show
under Mac and Windows with a custom icon for that type of document?

3) Is there a way to take the GRAPHICS data out of Revolution and into
other drawing programs? Is there a way to EXPORT the graphs (made out
of tens of graphic objects) that my stack produces to a standard
format, so that they can be imported into other applications?

Any help or pointers on these items will be greatly, greatly
appreciated!

Even though I've only been playing with Revolution 1.1.1 (on MacOS X)
for about a week, I'm absolutely amazed with just how feature-full and
easy-to-use it is. Very, very exciting! I can hardly wait to see
version 2.0!

Kind Regards,
--
Igor de Oliveira Couto