Building "serious" scientific applications with RunRev...

Sarah sarahr at genesearch.com.au
Sun Nov 10 17:41:07 EST 2002

I have developed applications to communicate with various scientific
instruments and chart the results. As someone mentioned, the speed of
execution may be slightly reduced, but the speed of development and
ease of modification makes a very powerful argument for Revolution. I
have been in the circumstance of needing to change control algorithms
in the middle of an experiment and being able to edit the relevant
stack and have the new algorithm running within minutes, without even
shutting down the program.

Ken Ray's web site has some interesting tips on manipulating image data
and there is a good demonstration of using Charts in the User
Contributions area of the Rev web site. For manipulating matrices etc,
while the code may turn out longer than it's C equivalents, I would bet
that it would be much easier to read & debug.

Cheers,
Sarah