Building "serious" scientific applications with RunRev...

Michael J. Lew michaell at unimelb.edu.au
Fri Nov 8 21:52:01 EST 2002

Absolutely!

I use Revolution as my ONLY programming tool for both teaching and
scientific applications (and sometimes both combined in a single
project). I have built several projects using matrix algorithms from
the "Numerical Recipes" book (Press et al.) and facilitated that by
making a fortran and pascal to transcript (partial) converters.
Specific programs that work well are a partial differential
equation-based numerical simulation system (both Runge-Kutta and
Rosenbrock stiff integration routines), a statistical program that
does simple Student's t-tests and the more widely appropriate
permutations tests, a not-quite perfect (yet) curve-fitting program
along with a wide variety of other smaller applications.

Relevant built-in functions in Revolution make the building these
types of routines quite straightforward. For instance the random()
function returns reliably random numbers that have no bias or
correlation. I recommend that if you are already familiar with
Revolution then you should have no qualms concerning its
applicability to scientific computing problems.

I can't comment specifically on imaging, psychophysical or colour
projects, but I'd certainly give it a go in Revolution before trying
to deal with C. My programs are generally a bit slower in execution
than commercial programs with similar functionality, but they are
certainly fast enough for my purposes and the speed difference is
nowhere near great enough to counterbalance the time that learning C
might take.

Regards,
--
Michael J. Lew