Poke the IPTC annotation data space of images?

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Fri Nov 8 21:50:01 EST 2002

Platform is MAC OSX:

Does anyone know how to access/write to the IPTC  annotation data space
of a jpg or image file? I don't even really know what the proper
nomenclature is, but some programs like Photoshop are able to add a
caption to a photo that can be read later.

Goal: to be able to write captions for photos and have that data "live"
in the jpg file itself. Read and write that data from within Rev. Using
a Rev interface I could then delegate photo captioning to other team
players anywhere in the world where they download a photo, write a
caption and upload the photo to our server and I can read the
caption... or, they take photos locally ( as for instance our
correspondent in New Delhi) then we make a Rev interface for him to
view his hi-res digital files, generate low res thumbnails, caption
these and upload to the managing editors space on our server. we read
the jpg and its caption from one and the same file, send him back a
list of files we want, he hits another button and uploads the original
hi-res photos we have selected for the article.

One could of course load photos into images and then use a
customProperty for the caption and that would be highly facile script
wise, but the problem is that the caption no longer "lives" with the
image. and then re-ordering these on an interface (for output to and
html page) becomes another snaky game (move the image objects around or
re-order the files on disk and reload them into the same series of
image objects) and means a single stack holds data for multiple images
and the collaboration options diminish--someone else has the file open
(LAN scenario), multiple copies of the stack to reconcile (global team
scenario if working on the same photo set) better if the caption data
lives in the image file itself.

Om shanti,
Hinduism Today
Himalayan Academy Publications