sound recording MAC and QTPRO

Dave lists at retiariusenterprises.com
Thu May 16 09:01:01 EDT 2002

Requiring QT Pro to record audio in Rev does not make a lot of sense to me.

 QT Pro is an application built to access the QuickTime APIs. The API
architecture and application are two separate entities.  (QuickTime Player 4
still runs with QuickTime 5 installed.)

The ability to record audio through QuickTime comes from the underlying
architecture, not the application.

Rev. is just another application that accesses parts of the QuickTime API
(QuickTime Player in fact doesn't even access the recording APIs).  AFAIK
the API is free and does not require QT Pro.  I've seen the bug in Rev.
where the audio file has been created but when you try to open it, the file
doesn't open. The file size seems about right, so it looks to me like audio
is being recorded.  I've wondered if I haven't stopped recording correctly
or closed the file correctly.  I haven't had the chance to follow the
excellent advice on this list regarding audio recording but hope to do so
soon.

BTW, here's a free recording app (non-Rev) that uses QuickTime to record
audio, it doesn't need QT Pro:
http://dgrwww.epfl.ch/~jenny/

--
Dave