Calls to WinHelp API, or any API for that matter

William T. Simmons tsimmons at employmentlawadvisors.com
Mon May 13 01:32:00 EDT 2002

Using Rev 1.1.1b, WinXP Pro
----------------------
I'll try to make a long story short, and sorry in advance for the weirdness,
but it actually ends up with a Rev-related point:
I'm trying to help a Cool:Gen developer do context-sensitive HTML Help from
within a Cool:Gen-built application. Apparently, no one on that
application's developer listserv has ever hooked such an app up to an HTML
Help file (.chm) before (he's checked, I've checked, it's beyond me how any
Windows development environment wouldn't be able to directly invoke
context-sensitive HTML Help, but oh, well...). Support for WinHelp is built
into the Cool:Gen development environment, so he's got that figured out.
With that in mind, I'm trying to show him an example with Rev of how the
context-sensitive WinHelp file would be invoked (so it can in turn start up
the c-s HTML Help - what a convoluted deal.) I've built a small sample Rev
application with buttons that launch a WinHelp file to specific topics, each
of which has a topic entry macro that opens an HTML Help file to the
corresponding topic. A simpler way of doing that which would bypass the
WinHelp topic-opening procedure would be to make a direct call from my Rev
application to the WinHelp API. The code for doing that takes the following
form:
WinHelp(hwndProgram, "HelpFile[>WindowName]", HELP_COMMAND, "macro");

For my WinHelp and HTML Help files, it would be like this:
WinHelp(hwnd, "startchm.hlp", HELP_COMMAND,
"EF(`hh.exe',`sample4coolgen.chm::/Fourth_Topic.html')")

I've looked for guidance on API calls in the Rev docs to no avail. Can
anyone offer some guidance on where to look for that?

Thanks,
Tommy Simmons
Employment Law Advisory Network
www.employmentlawadvisors.com