record sound on a Mac

Mark Talluto fuegox at mac.com
Fri May 10 09:08:01 EDT 2002

On Thursday, May 9, 2002, at 11:29  PM, use-revolution-
request at lists.runrev.com wrote:

>>> ----------
>>> Hi Mark,
>>>
>>> Bugs like what? I'm not experiencing any problems if things are set up
>>> properly. Can you say precisely what your problems are? Maybe I can
>>> help.
>>>
>>> Ken N.
>>
>> Hi Ken.  I regularly get a recording that is cut up.  For example:
>> If I
>> record " test 1, test 2, test 3".
>>
>> The playback may be:  "test 2, test 3,...test 1"
>>
>> I reported it to MC and have been told that the problem is in QT 5.
>> This has been confirmed at least on OS 10.1.4.  I have not tried this
>> on
>> a Win system yet.
> ----------
> OK, you're talking about QuickTime. I don't think the original post on
> this
> thread mentioned anything about QT, just about recording sound.
>
> The things you're indicating aren't possible unless you have stitched
> sound
> clips together. I don't see how QT could take one recorded clip, cut it
> up
> in pieces, and rearrange it like that on its own. No one I know of has
> experienced anything like this. What, exactly, do you mean by "cut up"?
> How
> are you recording, i.e., what is the hardware configuration and hookups?
> What software are you using to make the recording, and what type of
> file is
> it?
>
> The reason I ask is because just recently, someone on the HC list
> emailed me
> some short sound clips he recorded from his TV with shareware called
> Coaster
> 1.0.6. I imported them to QT Pro and converted, then I put the sound
> file
> titles in a clickable field. They call invisible movie windows which
> play
> the clips. No problems with the sound.
>
> If we are to track this down, we need more precise info about how you
> are
> making the recording, and your procedures for moving into QT.
>
> Hang in there, there is a reason for everything.
>
> Best regards,
> Ken N.

Ken,

While I am using MC to do this, it does apply to Rev users as well.  I
am recording in a small app I made.  It works well except for on thing.
It does not create a reliable recording.  "recordinput" is a new command
in 2.4.2 that allows you to set your audio input from within your
script.  Thanks for taking a look at this.  The actual recording stack
can be dowloaded from here:
http://www.canelasoftware.com/pub/record.sit   Anyone can have it if
they like.  I placed this in a button designed for recording:

on mouseUp
   global tPath

   set the filename of player "audio" to empty
   reset the templatePlayer
   set the recordinput to "imic"
   set the recordFormat to "aiff"

   ask "Please enter the file name for this recording:" with "test"
   put it into tName
   if it is empty then exit to metacard

   if there is a directory "recordings" then
   else
     create directory "recordings"
   end if

   put the directory into tPath