Where do you put your scripts?

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Fri May 3 17:37:01 EDT 2002

On Friday, May 3, 2002, at 03:24 PM, Rob Cozens wrote:

> Ideally, one should only have to maintain one instance of any
> control or handler, if that instance is placed in the right spot
> in the message hierarchy.

I'm not sure how to do that in many cases.

Suppose I have cards as maps of several buildings.  Suppose I have
thermostat "controls" spread all over the maps.  It would be nice
to be able to maintain one group for all, but I don't know of an
easy way.  I don't think that placing groups as a background would
work; I might want several per card and they would have different
locations.  And have different names or something else that makes
them unique.

I might have one thermostat control library and it might be good to
keep a master thermostat group on a card there.  But what if
thermostats are used by a variety of control libraries.

Suppose a couple of those thermostats are modified for controlling
ovens or for controlling humidity.
Suppose I use thermostats in several standalones.

If it would help in bringing this home, think department-selection
control/group (or NPC if you make games).  The department-selection
group might start out as a field.  Then become a labeled field with
syntax checking.  Then become a pair of popup menus.  Then become a
map region selection menu, a graphic menu and a text popup menu
with size and shape adaption.  And then all that is thrown a way
and a simple read-only text field and a standard edit button to
bring up a dialog box is used.  And then a labeled field again with
right click to get a helper dialog box.  In all cases, the control
should generate consistent department codes.

Dar Scott
Albuquerque