Where do you put your scripts?

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Fri May 3 16:29:00 EDT 2002

>Concerning controls and groups with scripts...  Should reusable
>controls and groups go in the Revolution object library?  Should
>those associated with a library stack be put on a card in that stack
>for easy copying?

It certainly can be done, Dar.  The question is whether it makes
sense in your runtime environment.

For example, I'm in the process of converting those handlers I still
intend to use from my HyperTalk library to a Transcript library
stack.  This includes general-purpose handlers that can be used by
any of my other stacks/applications for database access, date & time
functions, input editing & formatting, list & table handling, etc.
Included is a simple printReport function that lays out a header and
data in a stack the size of a printed page.  That layout stack can be
a substack within the library stack and referenced as such by
printReport.  Likewise for the basic empty database stack used as a
template to create a new database.

Ideally, one should only have to maintain one instance of any control
or handler, if that instance is placed in the right spot in the
message hierarchy.
--

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company