MIDI & RR

David Bovill david.bovill at opn-technologies.com
Thu May 2 14:33:01 EDT 2002

> From: Kurt Kaufman <kurtkaufman at hotmail.com>
> Subject: Re: MIDI & RR
>
> David, Thanks for your post.  My interest in MIDI is very specific and
> limited:  I am trying to design a music compositional tool that will
> randomize a (weighted or non-weighted) series of pitches, "play" them
> back as audible MIDI events (perhaps through QT), and save the resultant
> sequence as a MIDI file.  No "live" recording is needed or desired.  It
> seems to me (although maybe I"m wrong) that most MIDI  externals are set
> up to patch MIDI data streams from one hardware or software component to
> another.  I'm interested in the static creation of MIDI files.

The Externals that I mentioned (particularly HyperMidi) are pretty
sophisticated at creating and manipulating static MIDI files. They should
work well with MC on a PPC Mac - the problem is if you wish to do this cross
platform... MidiShare may do this for you, but I think it will be asking too
much unless you go for Java.

> I have
> much to learn, with the timing element "Variable Length Quantities"
> expressed in bytes being the most confusing at this point....Most of the
> other "events" I can now recognize in the MIDI file.
>
> Scott Raney feels I probably can do what I need using the binaryEncode
> and binaryDecode functions within RR/MC, so as to make an external
> unnecessary.  However, accessing the QT instruments directly (as opposed
> to playing back a .mid file in a player object) might be a different
> matter.

Java will do that for you as there are good QT API's for sound / MIDI.