Revolution vs. Java? Revolution vs. LabView?

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Wed Mar 27 18:03:01 EST 2002

On Tuesday, March 26, 2002, at 05:40 PM, David Vaughan wrote:

> I use Revolution and my son uses Java. If you could summarise what
> you want to know, what aspects are important, we could each offer
> a proponent's view of the languages on those aspects rather than
> the usual perspective of just a single bias.

Thanks, David.  I had hoped for pointers to documents; this is
beyond that.

I'm looking for a tool for making quick applications.

Primary concerns:
Speed of coding and debugging
Speed of GUI design, especially dialog box style windows
"lamp" indicators
TCP/IP and serial I/O
Ability to read and write arbitrary files
Ease of parsing datagrams and streams (my syntax)
double-click-ables (standalone)

Secondary concerns:
Ease of parsing datagrams and streams (other's syntax)
control design
XML parsing
general system, I/O and file can-do
multi-platform (Windows & linux)
reliability
learning curve

Here, "secondary" doesn't mean unimportant; it means slightly less
important.
A "stream" means tcp, file, or process.

Dar Scott