Comparisons with Flash MX?

Peter Reid preid at reidit.co.uk
Wed Mar 27 11:27:00 EST 2002

Thanks for the feedback Troy, could I just ask for a bit more detail:

>MX is very weak when it comes to system level operations and use
>and/or management of local files. It has no ability to "talk" with
>hardware.

I haven't got MX yet (my upgrade is in the post!) but one of my
customers reckons he can save local data on a client machine, not
just return it to a server? Does this ring true with you?

>Of course, it is useful for "Flashy" little presentations and
>"interactives" - but NOT "programs".

I know, I HATE all those Web sites dripping with useless Flash "presentations"!

>It also continues to suffer from file size limitations. After 4-5
>meg ... it's done.

In what way is 4-5 meg a limit - you can't make files larger or they
simply don't work??

>Basically MX is Flash 5 with some fundamental productivity
>enhancements (which should have existed all along.)
>
>MX is now a better tool than Flash was. It certainly does not
>compete with Rev for overall power. The two applications are on
>different planes. Rev builds applications. MX builds "interactives".
>Both Director and iShell still build more powerful interactives
>(bordering on applications) than MX does.
>
>At my shop, we use Rev, MX, and iShell - depending on the project
>requirements.

I've only used Flash 4 for animations as part of CBT packages (NOT
for Web sites!) and not used the scripting side at all.  I tend to
use Rev (or MetaCard in the past) for most other things.

My client is looking to develop web-based information capture and
advice using anything from desktops, to laptops and PDAs as the
client.  He had been considering Java, but has been tempted by Flash
MX.  He thinks it will provide a richly interactive front end for his
data capture (into back end databases using XML etc.) and for
displaying his advisor information, all from inside a browser window.

Any additional comments/thoughts?

Cheers

Peter
--
Peter Reid
Reid-IT Limited, Loughborough, Leics., UK
E-mail: preid at reidit.co.uk
Web: http://www.reidit.co.uk