The Last Three Tutorials--Mac Classic 1.1.1

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Mon Mar 25 12:49:01 EST 2002

General note:  I'm having problems knowing what tool I should see
when.  It seems, if the cursor is over a stack or palette it's the
browse tool; but when the cursor moves over the menubar or any
Tutorial stacks it changes to the pointer.

Geometry Manager:

A. Will this work correctly with a stack that has been scripted for
the Animation Tutorial?  I had problems after clicking on "Reset"
after installing the animation; so I replaced the "Show Me" script
referencing the animation with the one from the Getting Started
Tutorial.

B. The first time through I changed positioning settings instead of
scaling settings or vice versa and got thoroughly confused.  Is there
a way to tell the Geometry Manager "forget everything I've done so
far" and start over?

C. The second time through I was much more careful to pay attention
to what I was changing where, and I had no problems.

D. Suggestion: The tutorial instructs one to set the field in the
same manner as the buttons (ie fixed distance from the bottom).  I
found centering the field to the center of the card produced (IMFO) a
better effect.

5. Profile Manager:

A. Can the Profile Manager & the Geometry Manager work together?
When I select profile "LargeFont" the buttons no longer change
position when I resize the window.  If I revert to "Master", the
Geometry Manager settings work again.  Would the preferred method be
to set up the profiles before working with the Geometry Manager?  And
is it necessary to apply the Geometry Manager once to each object for
each profile?

6. Independent Study:

A. I believe the issue of the image not appearing has already been
mentioned.  I will add that after clicking at what I presume to be
the picture image location and selecting one of the employee jpgs, I
am returned to the database in the pointer tool instead of the browse
tool with no picture visible.  Likewise, when I enter the employeedb
stack after clicking on the "Open Example" button on card 13 of this
tutorial, I am in the pointer tool and must click on the tool palette
before I can click on a button.  Has this something to do with being
in the development environment?

B. After creating an employee db I clicked on the left corner close
box.  I was not shown a "Save" dialog.

C. When selecting "Close" from the menubar, I was shown a "Save"
dialog; however the employee db tutorial did not list either of my
.edb files when I tried to open an existing db.  I found the dbs I
created were file type "RSTK" instead of "EDB_" I tried changing the
file type to "EDB_" using ResEdit; but the main stack still didn't
recognize my .edb files.

D. Clicking on the "Open Example" button on card 13 of this tutorial
a second or subsequent time without quitting Revolution doesn't seem
to open the stack correctly.

E. Importing data into a new db gave me a blank record "Card ID 1031"
in addition to Fernando, Karen, Lavonne, & Joe...all with no
pictures.  Export data worked fine...although I deleted "Card ID
1031" before testing it.  I presume one could modify the
import/export handlers to (optionally?) include the name or id of the
employee's image, and that import could place the image on the card.

Having completed all six tutorials, I am:

1.  Left with some uncertainty as to how the various managers can be
applied in concert; but

2.  More impressed than ever by what the RunRev team, albeit with a
strong underpinning via MetaCard, has accomplished.
--

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company