SNMP Traps - can I monitor them?

Ian Summerfield iansummerfield at btconnect.com
Fri Mar 22 17:25:01 EST 2002

On 22/3/02 8:16 pm, "Dar Scott" <dsc at swcp.com> scribed:

> Ian, you are about to run into a serious limitation of UDP on
> Revolution, if you continue to explore SNMP.
>
> (If I'm wrong about this, I hope somebody will let us know.)
>
> Suppose you "open datagram socket" to the SNMP port 161 on your
> router and "write" an SNMP GET datagram.  The underlying system
> will assign you a port on your computer when you do this.  The
> router will send an SNMP RESPONSE back to that port.  You need to
> get that datagram.  But you don't know what port to "accept" on.
>
> An alternative would be to read from the socket you opened to write
> with.  I have tried several ways to read datagrams from an open to
> datetime (port 13) or echo (port 7) with no success.  If anybody
> has been able to do this, I would like to see how its done.
>
> And there is no way to set the local port in open.
>
> Dar Scott

I appreciate your help but I must confess to being out of my depth on this
one!  I've really only spent a few days trying to get to grips with SNMP!
Only hours ago did I learn what a trap is!  BUT, I think it all should be
possible because there is a METACARD project that does more or less what I
want to do, and by the sounds of things what you are trying to do to!

http://www.metacard.com/apps4.html

Mind you, they might have used externals.