Persistent Array Designation

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Thu Mar 21 16:21:01 EST 2002

In the script changes I proposed to Ben

>  if fromUse then put aInfo into aUseInfo else put aInfo into aImproveInfo

This puts a variable with a list of associated keys into a nonKeyed
variable (and in other parts of the script, vice versa).  I frankly
don't know if the index keys are maintained correctly in the process.
This brings up several questions:

1.  Will the handler maintain the key notation when aInfo is put into
aUseInfo and aUseInfo is then put into aInfo?  (If not, you could
script a workaround using an itemDelimiter instead of array
notation...provided you can designate a delimiter character that will
NEVER occur in the data you are manipulating AND you can live with
the overhead of a delimiter for every possible item.  The later
because put x into item 20000 of y will place 19,999 itemDelimiter
characters before x if y is empty.)

2.  Is the key list maintained separately from the arrayed variable
(as opposed to maintaining the variable as a delimited list)?

3.  If we're dealing with a delimited list in actuality, is there
potential conflict between the delimiter used by the MetaCard engine
and some character I might choose as my own delimiter?

--

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company