Halfway through Mac Classic 1.1.1 Tutorials

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Thu Mar 21 13:25:01 EST 2002

Kevin, et al:

I've completed the first three 1.1.1 tutorials, and I'm much
impressed by what I see.

When I started with 1.1, I skipped several tutorials because I didn't
see that I would need the capabilities they provide in the short
term.  I now think that was a mistake, and would advise everyone to
complete every tutorial.  I'm sure it will help shorten your learning
curve and increase your comprehension as it has for me.

I have two issues to report from my experience so far:

1. Often when trying to copy scripts from the tutorial to the script
editor, option-drag to select the text causes the object containing
the script to be deselected, which minimizes the script editor
window.  This also happened when I  accidently pressed the command
key instead of the option key.  Once I reselect the object, the
script window opens & I can paste the text; but it's disconcerting
when it first happens.

2. Animation Tutorial design flaw?
   A.  Create MyAnim as per Tutorial
   B.  Open Hello World
   C.  Click on the Reset Button
   D.  You will not see the text field again unless you change the
preOpen handler to reposition the field differently.

Two questions:

A. Is 2 (above) an indication that an animation will not work
properly if the object being moved is not located in the frame 1
starting position when the animation begins?

B. How does one create an animation where the object changes size or
shape instead of position?

--

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company