assign by reference (arrays)?

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Thu Mar 21 10:21:01 EST 2002

>  >>> Is there any way to assign by reference?
>  >
>  > It seems counter-intuitive that I can make a parameter in subroutine refer
>>  to the same object as a variable in my routine, but I can't make two
>  > variables in my routines do so.

Hi Ben,

Pardon a Foole's dumb question; but what are you trying to
accomplish?  Can you give me an example of how this is done in
another programming environment?

I think there must be a way to get the desired result; but I don't
understand what the desired result is.  Just exactly what do you
expect an inline assignment by reference do?

Do you want two variable names to point to the same value?  If two
variables always have the same value, why use two when one would do?

Looking at it another way, one might say all inline variable
assignments ARE by reference: "put x into y"  replaces the value of
"y", not a copy of "y".
--

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company