system bloat problem with rev on 68K mac

Martin Baxter martin at atwork.bdx.co.uk
Mon Mar 18 08:14:55 EST 2002

>Geoff Canyon wrote:
>At 4:09 PM +0000 3/17/02, Martin Baxter wrote:
>>The system is 7.6.1 and usually uses 5-6 megs of ram out of a total of 40
>>megs (36physical and 4 virtual).
>>The system consumes about 24 megs in the process of loading revolution
>>completely.
>
>You could probably up this to 64MB without taking a performance hit from
>Revolution, and that would likely be enough memory to keep it happy even
>with the docs open.

Ah, well I haven't got as far as trying to open the docementation yet. But
that would presumably load into revolution's application memory and that
isn't where I'm having trouble, that isn't even a quarter full. The problem
is that the system gets bigger and bigger, and never lets go of any memory
it's using.
As I already mentioned in a separate post on this subject, you can see
memory allocation screenshots which show the situation more clearly than I
can describe it at: <http://www.harbourtown.co.uk/temp/before_after.html>

>The documentation stacks are large, and Revolution was originally designed
>to work on systems with robust virtual memory. Which, I am sad to say as a
>long-time Mac user, does not include System 7.6.1. Or 8, or 9.

I tried running it with VM off and the behaviour is the same

martin

m a r t i n

martin baxter Cambridge UK