What's your vector, Victor? SVG

Chris Condit ccondit at geo.umass.edu
Fri Mar 15 10:38:01 EST 2002

Greg Saylor  said:
*snip* However, I am no artist and the existing graphics are already in a
vector-based format.  At first I was going to write the parser for one of
these vector formats inside of Revolution itself, but then I realized that
this would be overkill.

I work on a Mac, and am a refugee from SuperCard, so what I do is
save the file out of a CAD program as a pict file (which preserves
its vector objects), and import that into SC.  I then run a SC
program to write a text file out that describes each object.  I use
that text file in a MC program to then convert the file to MC vector
objects/text fields, and in the case of text fields, to assign them a
name corresponding to their respective textData.  Primative, round
about, and it means you translate any 24-bit color into 8 bit color
when it gets imported into SC, and re-translate it back to RGB when
you create the object in MC, but it beats redrawing everything.

Be happy to shoot you these "wonders" of programming "art" if you
want to contact me off-list.

about SVG:
I've been trading e-mails with Scott (and Kevin) about importing
vectors, and the possibility of adding Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG)
to the MC engine.  When/if MC adds SVG capability, any CAD program
that can save objects in SVG format (as can Illustrator, among
several others), will give us something we can import.

Details are being kicked around, but it might not hurt to get folks
interested in such to toss in their two-bitsŠ..