Constraining 'grab'

Ken Norris (dialup) pixelbird at interisland.net
Thu Mar 7 03:46:01 EST 2002

on 3/6/02 10:39 PM, Troy Rollins at troy at rpsystems.net wrote:

> True, I suppose test scenarios can't hurt - but the fact is that
> mouseRelease (outside button) is a recognized convention. Virtually
> every professional application on all computer platforms function with
> this behavior. Try it on any button you have in whatever you are viewing
> this email in.
>
> Test if you like, but I wouldn't spend too much time or money on the
> subject (I imagine someone already did - 15 years ago)...  :)
----------
Yes, but this response is basically nonsequetur to the subject at hand. I
was questioning why have a "mouseRelease" as well as a "mouseUp" in a
dragging situation.

How do you release the mouse button outside an object you're dragging? By
definition, it is within the dragged object, so it's a "mouseUp" situation,
unless you "beat the clock" by deliberately moving the cursor so fast that
the dragged object can't catch up, and are able to release the mouse button
before it does.

Best regards,
Ken N.