Saving Docs to other places

Ken Norris (dialup) pixelbird at interisland.net
Tue Mar 5 20:55:01 EST 2002

Hi Rev list,

The following is kinda directed to Geoff Canyon, but I would welcome advise
from anyone.

I want to dedicate one of my ancient Macs (probably an SE or SE 30 because
it won't use much desk space) to nothing but reference docs, so I don't have
to interrupt what I'm doing in my development environment. For our purposes,
let's just say Rev's docs.

The problem is, the machine I want to use will not run RR, but it _will_ run
HC and older versions of Claris and MS Word.

Question sets:

1) Is the stack made with RTF only for the term hilite search capability? I
don't think I can implement that (without a heckuvalotuvwork) in that old a
machine.

2) Can I transfer (at least) the plain text of the docs into HyperCard
fields? How about Claris for RTF? I can "Save Text" from the button, but
what does it do, and where is it allowed to go?

3) Depending on the answers of (2), may I ask for some suggestions how I
might go about it.

4) Why do the Rev docs use such huge fonts in the headers and large line
spacing? I find it disturbing and unnecessary, and would like to change it.
I see that it prints out without the big fonts, but there still isn't much
content, just the one term in the dictionary for example, per page, thus
there are 1800+ pages to print out. I think we're probably talking about 6
inches (or so) thickness, even if printed double sided, meaning at least
three volumes. Consequently, for a serious RR developer, I think using a
separate computer dedicated to the docs is the way to go.

5) If I wanted to run the Rev docs _as_ Rev docs, but just them only, what
would be the memory cost? That is, I have a Mac Performa 630 which is
running a 640x480 monitor with OS 7.6.1, maxed out at 32 mb of RAM (cannot
take more). Will the RR docs run in RTF mode with just the basic MC engine?
How about if I up the virtual memory to 64 mb? The monitor takes up more
desk space than I'd like, but I can put the computer box somewhere off the
desk.

6) How about making the docs as a standalone? The ultimate solution
methinks. This one goes to the Improve Rev list, too.

Thanks in advance for your considerations.

Best regards,
Ken Norris