wait for messages

Bob Rasmussen brasmussen at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 1 02:50:00 EST 2002

David,

I appreciate the research you did on this.  You've clarified many of the issues I raised.

I'm still experimenting, trying to better understand how multiple waits of various sorts interact with oneanother.  My interest has to do with attempting to emulate some sort of rudimentary multithreading behavior with a centralized scheduler that can dole out processing time in a controlled fashion. I believe "send ... in <delay>" semantics alone aren't quite up to that.

Given the way messaging works in TransScript, threads would have to be cooperative, of course, but I can work around that.

Although I still have some timing questions to resolve, I think I've got much of it figured out.  The other "wait" forms are very useful, but "wait for messages" is turning out to have no role in my particular application, now that I know what it's doing.

Thanks for your help.

RR