Battling Windmills

David Vaughan drvaughan55 at mac.com
Sat Jun 15 18:02:01 EDT 2002

On Sunday, June 16, 2002, at 02:47 , Kurt Kaufman wrote:

> R.G. wrote:
> "...A reviewer must find at least one Con for the write-up.  It's good
> when the
> Con is so trivial and such an easy one to fix :)..."
>
> I used to review concerts for National Public Radio (USA) affiliates.
> I never felt any pressure to "find at least one Con".  But maybe things
> are different in the computer magazine world, or the print world in
> general.

There is a little rationality for it being different. The review is of
products competing for purchase, rather than one in a series of events,
so a "con" somewhere gives the verisimilitude of balance, and thus the
author credibility for the next review. Perhaps they are also a little
less courageous, so if the product is later found to be run like a
one-legged dog then the author can refer to their critical bits :-)

cheers
David