Fwd: Battling Windmills

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Fri Jun 14 13:30:00 EDT 2002

>Reviews have limited word counts. They cannot go into great detail.
>The writer has almost zero control over what ends up in print.
>
>Reviews have to appear balanced. Unless the product is universally
>revered by everyone in the computing community, they have to point
>out at least one flaw.

Kee, et al:

So when I asked, "...is this garbage just one more example of the
focus on form instead of substance (read that lack of depth of
research) that is typical of software reviewers?", the answer is
"yes".

I'm not upset because the article exposed Revolution's "Achilles'
heel".  I agree the overall tone of the article is positive.

But each year as I see the size of Macworld get smaller, the
percentage of the pages devoted to advertising get larger, and the
software reviews get shallower, I have to ask myself why I still
subscribe.
--

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company