Reassurance re: crashing

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Thu Jun 6 11:20:01 EDT 2002

Hi All,

A few days ago someone new to Revolution expressed concern because he
found the application crashed with some frequency.  At the time I
felt I had no real insight to offer: complain to me about lost stack
info, and I'll tell you "stop using Open Recent Stack"; but I can't
help with crashes because I don't crash........anymore.

If there is a lesson here, it was taught to me by Wesley (no relation
to Satan) Gates many years ago.  Wesley was the only member of our HC
SIG (and the only person I know of) to produce useful animations
using AddMotion.  One of our monthly meetings was devoted to
AddMotion. and at least three or four times as I blundered my way
through the AddMotion tutorial Wesley would shout, "Don't do that, or
you'll crash!"  Each time he spoke too late, and each time the system
crashed.

Early on I experienced unstableness in the Revolution platform; but
once I had crashed enough times, I could determine what actions
(often blindlessly trying something I had not done before to
determine the best way to do it) caused crashes and a. change my work
habits &/or b. learn the correct, ie non-crashing, approach.

Be patient, positive, and inquisitive; but save frequently until you
get to know RunRev.
--

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company