newbie response

Kee Nethery kee at kagi.com
Sat Jun 1 23:52:01 EDT 2002

I've been trying to decide where I should migrate my personal
programming environment; Perl, Java, Cocoa, AppleScript Studio,
RealBasic, Revolution, Python, etc. I've been using Hypercard for
ages and although Hypercard might not be the fastest code, I can
develop code that gets the job done in a very short period of time.
But ... Hypercard is truly dead and after migrating to MacOS X I
realized it was time for me to make a switch.

I've been following the Revolution lists because it is the closest
thing available to Hypercard but I've been exploring all the
alternatives because I've come to believe the dominate opinion that
Hypercard and things like it, are not real programming environments.

Perl can do anything except it is hell to maintain anyone else's Perl
code and it doesn't do standalones real well.
Java can do most anything but it does not seem to be a rapid
development environment. Seems to take Java programmers longer than
it takes me to write the same widget in Hypercard.
Cocoa looks great but I don't know C, it is Mac only, and all the
examples assume that you know C which I do not.
AppleScript Studio and the forthcoming revision to AppleScript look
great but it's still AppleScript and it is Mac only and painful to
write.
Python looks good but standalones seemed to be an issue.

That left RealBasic and Revolution.

I sat through Geoff's presentation with some other folks at Apple's
WWDC and then we sat through the RealBasic presentation. Geoff did an
excellent job but the clincher for me was seeing the RealBasic demo.
RealBasic just looked more complicated.

So this week I started using Revolution to build a small app that
connects to a database and grabs some data and displays it. It will
allow an employee of mine to get data that previously I personally
would run some SQL to generate. It's not the world's most complicated
app and it isn't going to save me loads of time but it was a good
starter. I compiled it for windows, installed it on her machine and
it works great!

So to everyone on this list, you probably know this already but ...
REVOLUTION IS WAY COOL!!!

Kee Nethery