Editing Menu Groups

Bob Arnold rfarnold at bu.edu
Sun Jul 14 17:51:01 EDT 2002

on 7/13/02 11:23 PM, Jeanne A. E. DeVoto wrote:

> At 8:24 AM -0700 7/9/2002, Klaus Major wrote:
>> When a grp has its backgroundbehaviour checked, then it has to be called
>> background "xxx" if it is not on the card where it is called in the
>> script.
>
> This is close, but not quite correct.
>
> A group is referred to relative to a card, just like any other control. So
> if you refer to "group xxx", and you're not on a card that has that group
> placed on it, you'll run into a problem, because Rev looks for the group on
> the current card and doesn't find it.
>
> Background references to groups, however, are relative to the stack, not
> just a card where the group may be placed. Every group in a stack can be
> referred to as a background, because (obviously) it's in the stack even if
> it isn't on every card.
>
> The backgroundBehavior setting doesn't affect this; it's just whether the
> group is placed on the current card or not.

Well, my problem of being unable to place a group on a card via a script (or
message box) didn't go away by calling the group "group" or "background."
(or background group, or by id) Still don't get it, but since I am able to
place a group using the menu (card by card) I have given up trying to figure
it out.

Thanks to all for all the (otherwise) useful insights.

Bob
--
Robert Arnold
Associate Professor of Film