OS X Server; standalones as OS X services

Bill Vlahos bvlahos at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Jul 11 16:44:02 EDT 2002

XServe is pronounced "ex-serve" and it should make an outstanding Rev
server application platform. OS X Server OS even on regular Mac hardware
would also be outstanding. There are some considerations that we as
developers would want to make regarding running server apps. under OS X
Server. Any Revolution server app should work just fine without these
considerations but even better following them.

Considerations
1. There is a built-in application called WatchDog which can be
configured to autorestart an application if it should crash thereby
assuring that your program would always be running. This would be
similar to running as a service under Windows for all practical purposes.
2. GUI based applications require a display card which is an option for
XServe so it may not be included in all XServe installations.
3. If a server app has a GUI the server needs to come up fully to the
desktop which means that the server must log in automatically and then
call the screen saver to provide the security lock. Revolution can
certainly build non-GUI apps and they would not have this requirement.
4. Apple's server software in built in two parts. 1. A faceless non-GUI
server app. and 2. Administrative front end which communicates over
interfaces such as SSH, telnet, terminal, etc. and can be run on the
server itself as well as a remote computer. This is probably a good
model to follow and Revolution makes this pretty easy as it is
cross-platform by nature.
5. You can get XServes with multiple CPUs (up to 2 at the moment but I
would expect more in the future). I have not heard much in the way of
discussion on Revolution's ability to use multiple CPUs on any platform
but certainly the OS is fully able to work with multiple CPUs. I suspect
that Revolution's unix roots will make life pretty good for OS X.
6. There are a bunch of features in the current and very soon to be
released next major update to OS X, code named Jaguar, which
specifically take advantage of some pretty nifty things on the XServe
relating to high availability, redundancy, and performance which I
expect to hear about next week at Macworld.

Now if I only had an application in mind for all this power...

Bill Vlahos