More Movie Difficulties

Rik Panero rikp1964 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 8 16:36:01 EDT 2002

>I am still having problems displaying avi movies in Rev on Windows (98,
>2000, ME) systems on a consistent basis.  My avi movies will play on a PC
>through the Windows Media Player, but once imported into Rev, will not
>display with the "play movie" command.  I can not locate any detailed
>information on movie playback in the Rev documentation.  What is the proper
>format and codec for displaying video on the Windows OS?  Where is
>documentation on this located?  ... please, No QuickTime (Not widely
>supported on Windows).

I don't think I have the answer for you, but IIRC the only video file type
guaranteed to run on all Windows platforms is uncompressed AVIs, not very
usable information, I know.  Another option is to use one of the (few)
compression codecs installed with Windows, which would have a reasonable
guarantee of being on whatever computer your app ends up on, but the only
two I can think of are "Video 1" and "RLE" which aren't really all that
great.  Similar to your case, I have a 3D program that renders to an MJPEG
format that Media Player will play, but Revolution won't.  But Revolution
*will* play files rendered with any other codec I have installed, even my
capture card's compression codec, so I don't know what the discrepancy is.

      Rik Panero
  rikp1964 at yahoo.com
"If I find a film dull, I find it infinitely more
entertaining to watch the scratches."
Norman McLaren (Animator, b.1914-d.1987)

"Many people find joy in actually doing something
the pragmatist would call useless. "
Dorothy Tanning - the "oldest living surrealist" (b. 1910)