Currency Formatting?

David Vaughan drvaughan55 at mac.com
Mon Jan 28 17:28:01 EST 2002

Rick

I haven't looked yet for an obvious way in Rev but this is the script I
wrote for use in my HyperCard stacks, so it should do the trick in Rev.

function InsertComma srcNum,symbol
   put empty into pretty
   -- Find a decimal point, if any
   put offset(".",srcNum) into decPoint
   put length(srcNum) into srcLen
   if decPoint > 0 then
   -- Anything from the decimal point needs no further work
     put char decPoint to srcLen of srcNum into pretty
     -- Shorten the string to the part with which to deal
     delete char decPoint to srcLen of srcNum
     put (decPoint - 1) into srcLen
   end if
   -- Now loop inserting commas and breaking off that part
   repeat while srcLen > 3
     put "," & char (srcLen - 2) to srcLen of srcNum before first char of
pretty
     delete char (srcLen - 2) to srcLen of srcNum
     put length(srcNum) into srcLen
   end repeat
   -- Add the optional symbol
   put symbol & srcNum before first char of pretty
   return(pretty)
end InsertComma

This function returns a comma-delimited number with optional first
symbol (e.g. $ or ¥ or €).
For example, << put insertComma(1234.56,"$") >> produces $1,234.56. For
that matter, << put insertComma("Fred","Apple") >> will produce
"AppleF,red" for what it is worth!

cheers
David