Serial Ports with OS X

Bill Vlahos bvlahos at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Jan 23 13:14:02 EST 2002

Gene,

Actually there has been a great deal of traffic regarding serial
communications for OS X on this list. The short answer is that it
currently doesn't work but that the Rev folks are working on a solution
which they hope to have in the near future.

Apple is adopting the "unix way" of doing serial ports with the added
twist that you will need a USB-serial adapter like the KeySpan to
actually get the physical ports. Apple has made the API's available with
example code but it won't work or look like older serial communications
so all previous Comm Toolbox and Open Transport serial calls break in OS
X. Doing it the "unix way" probably doesn't hurt us too badly as the
foundation for Revolution (MetaCard) comes from unix.

Serial ports work fine with Revolution under OS 8 and 9 and I suspect
the Rev folks will get it working under X.

Bill Vlahos