Another distribution build question

Geoff Canyon gcanyon at inspiredlogic.com
Tue Jan 22 11:35:01 EST 2002

At 7:47 AM -0500 1/22/02, Richard D. Miller wrote:
>I have six stacks in my project that are part of the program interface, but
>another 2,000 that are just sources of data. I see that the six stacks are
>changed during the build process, even though only one is the actual
>startup/standalone stack. My question concerns the other 2,000 stacks. Is
>there any reason to include them in the build process or can they just be
>put on a CD as they are...since they are only used for data? My first tests
>running my project on Windows seemed fine with these data stacks left
>"un-built." I'd like to think these data stacks can be used cross-plaftform
>without any modification.

They can be used without modification cross-platform. There is a translation that occurs, I think to account for byte-order(?) or somesuch, when you open a stack on a different platform. The build might be doing that for you. The only consequence of it is to slow down opening the stacks slightly, so if performance is acceptable then no, you don't have to include them in the build.

regards,

Geoff