Building in serial number scheme

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Sun Jan 20 12:09:01 EST 2002

>Funny that quit doesn't work. On my computer, at least, this does:
>
>close window 1
>
>Try that instead of the quit command.

Geoff Canyon and (offlist) Bill Vlahos motivated me to play around with the
AppleScript.  This retrieves the serial # AND quits ASP:

on getSerial()
	tell application "Apple System Profiler"
		run
		copy SerialNumber to myNumber
		close window 1
	end tell
	return myNumber
end getSerial

I presume the difference has something to do with the use of "run" instead
of "launch."

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company