copy a image/binary file on a mac

Geoff Canyon gcanyon at inspiredlogic.com
Sun Jan 20 02:39:01 EST 2002

At 10:23 AM -0800 1/19/02, Scott Rossi wrote:
>Recently, Geoff Canyon wrote:
>
>> Note that a SimpleText file has no resource fork, but does have a type and a
>> creator.
>
>This is not actually the case.  If you add any style (bold, italic, etc) of
>other style edits, flags are added to the resource fork.

Bother -- that's what I get for not following through. It is true that a SimpleText file _created by SimpleText_ has a resource fork. Unfortunately for me, I didn't look at any SimpleText files created by SimpleText.

The default fileType property in Revolution is "ttxtTEXT" which specifies a SimpleText file. If you open a new file and write to it, the resulting file has a type and creator, but no resource fork. If you drag it onto ResEdit, you'll get a dialog asking if you want to create a resource fork for the file, because it has none. If you use ResEdit to get info on the file, you'll see that it nevertheless has a type of "TEXT" and a creator of "ttxt" You can also see from the file's icon that it's a SimpleText document.

regards

Geoff