Building in serial number scheme

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Sat Jan 19 17:11:01 EST 2002

>I'd appreciate hearing any thoughts on ways to build in serial number
>protection...at least into one main opening stack.

Hi Richard,

Before I describe my approach, let me point out its limitations:

1.  It is Mac-specific.

2.  It only works on hardware/OS combos where the Apple System Profiler
returns the computer serial number.

3.  It works for me because my product is designed and priced for a limited
marketplace.

That being said, the AppleScript script:

on getSerial()
	tell application "Apple System Profiler"
		launch
		copy SerialNumber to myNumber
		quit application "Apple System Profiler"
	end tell
	return myNumber
end getSerial

will return the Mac's serial #.  (BTW, Apple System Profiler does NOT quit;
but that's another issue.)

When a winemaker orders, or subscribes to, OenoLog, the license is specific
to the her/his Mac by serial number...which he/she retrieves using the
System Profiler and includes on the order form.  I burn a CD for that
specific installation with the serial # encrypted in the stack.

As I look to the future, I must determine which of the Mac-specific
features in OenoLog can be reprogramed to be platform independent, and
which must be given up if I am to achieve cross-platform compatability.  It
would be nice if Revolution had a built-in method of uniquely identifying
the computer it's running on.  Some people have suggested the Ethernet
address as a possibility; but for my purposes the serial # is more easily
retrieved by the user.

I'd be happy to participate in any effort address the issue by RunRev or
MetaCard staff and/or users.  I'd also be interested in hearing from anyone
who knows what toolbox call ASP uses to retrieve the serial # (some
argument to gestalt(??)).  If I knew that, I could ditch AppleScript; but
I'm too cheap to pay Apple $200 so I can ask them directly.

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company