Testing under Unix, installing under Windows

Bill Vlahos bvlahos at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Jan 18 12:33:01 EST 2002

(Standing on soapbox)

Richard,

While Linux has made good progress as a server platform, it is almost
non-existent on the desktop. It is too hard to install, too difficult to
use, and there is very little "consumer type" software available for
most users to work with.

The first two items will take a long time to get better but I believe
they eventually will. These limitations also constrain the types of
customers currently using it to potentially a very different demographic
than what you might be used to. The last item illustrates the importance
of Revolution in overcoming the lack of software for Linux (and other
Unixes like Solaris). No other programming environment makes it
possible, let alone easy, to build rich software for anything other than
Windows and Macintosh. I have built some simple applications here on the
Mac in Rev and built standalones for virtually all of the platforms
without any problems from the same code base. These were not multimedia
though; and QuickTime is more limited for Linux and Solaris. Someone
please correct me if I'm wrong here.

The most popular Linux seems to be the Red Hat distribution on x86
hardware (i.e. Intel, AMD, etc). Mandrake is also based on Red Hat. We
also have a small number of other distributions (SuSE, Yellow Dog, etc)
and people running it on PPCs too. One of the potential pitfalls for the
Linux consumer market is that the users don't really want to pay for
software (including their OS) and want to put it on the cheapest
hardware they can find (PCs). It will be interesting to see how
successful people who write software are at actually getting money from
these folks.

Another interesting point is that Apple is now the largest distribution
of Unix OS with OS X.

Bill Vlahos
(Stepping off soapbox)