Testing under Unix, installing under Windows

Troy Rollins troy at rpsystems.net
Fri Jan 18 09:05:01 EST 2002

Richard D. Miller  wrote:

> Thanks for the feedback. Of course, I (like probably many other folks here)
> no nothing about the Unix environment. When you say Linux is not
> specifically UNIX, what does that mean? Is it significantly similar? Is Rev
> supposed to run under Linux? What about Mandrake? How does that fit in?
> Which UNIX system will we most likely encounter out there...in other words,
> which UNIX environments would most likely be accessing multimedia-based
> CD's?

Linux is not specifically Unix in that Linux is based on open source code.
Functionally, and for most purposes, they can be considered the same, though
low level code which specifically addresses the kernel may in fact need to
be different. Others may have more details on this.

If I had to guess, I would certainly think that there are more consumer
level, multimedia users on the Linux platform than Unix. Unix is still large
in certain industries and Gov't, but Linux is virtually free - and therefore
prevalent on personal desktops.

Linux is available as "distributions". Distributions are basically made by
companies who take the Linux core, and add some utilities and installers -
which then enables them to "sell" linux because of their "value add" - they
are not actually selling Linux - they are selling their add-ons and support
services. Mandrake is one such company, and they sell the "Mandrake
distribution". This is just Linux, with the Mandrake installers and extra
features (desktop managers, other freeware). You can purchase Mandrake as a
boxed set of Cds in comptuer stores or online. The last I checked, Mandrake
was the recommended distribution to install on Virtual PC. I went that
route, and it installed and runs fine. I have not yet tested Revolution in
that environment, but I wouldn't expect any problems.

Such an installation will certainly give you a good test bed for Linux and
Unix compatibility during software construction - but I would recommend that
you test in native machines as a final check up, before distribution.
--
Troy
RPSystems