Is it soup yet?

Ken Norris (dialup) pixelbird at interisland.net
Sun Jan 13 21:31:22 EST 2002

on 1/13/02 5:14 PM, Sarah Reichelt at sarahr at genesearch.com.au wrote:

>>> 2) I want to use it to send and receive text-only (for now, e.g., no
>>> attachments or graphics) eMail using something simple, like Claris. Or is it
>>> possible to build my own emailer with RR itself? How about this?
>>
>> Revolution has socket access, but no built-in SMTP (yet). So rolling your own
>> is definitely possible, but not particularly simple. You should be able to
>> email using the default email client (on a Mac) using an Apple Event or an
>> AppleScript.
>
> Outlook Express works very well with AppleScript.
----------
OE uses too much memory for my purposes and I need text-only for now, but
thanks. For my personal needs this is good news.
----------
>> I think speech was part of the Externals, released by RunRev, but separately
>> from Revolution. It's a little hard to find now (I don't remember where they
>> put it and I'm offline right now, sorry.
>
> Again, this is possible using AppleScript, although for Mac only:
>
> on doSpeech theSpeech
> put "Victoria" into theVoice
> -- look in the Voices folder for a list of possibilities
>
> do "say " & quote & theSpeech & quote & " using " & quote & \
> theVoice & quote as AppleScript
> end doSpeech
Thanks Sarah,

What about Windows? There must be some kind of standard speech available.
I'm trying to find out the nomenclature for such things in Windows, so I
don't end up sifting through a million hits.

Best regards,
Ken N.