Checking for internet access

Sarah Reichelt sarahr at genesearch.com.au
Sun Jan 13 19:42:02 EST 2002

I have a stack which grabs a web page using the get URL command. I need to
check for internet access before wasting time downloading.

I tried using "open socket" to check for a link. This was a fast way to
check, but a failure caused an unexpected quit. The button doing the
checking would stay hilighted for a while, then go off but without sending a
"socketError" or "socketTimeOut" message. The next mouse click on anything,
even the desktop, would trigger the unexpected quit.

So, I have two problems:
1. I want to be able to check for an internet link before I start.
2. If the link drops out, I want the program to tell me, not quit.

Rev 1.1.1B1, iBook 600, OS X 10.1.2 (Haven't tried it in OS 9)

Cheers,
Sarah